Monday, January 7, 2013

Coffee, Bread, and Thoughts

School is done for the day and it's not yet time to start supper. So here I sit at the kitchen table with my coffee, my delicious bananna bread and my thoughts, or maybe a better word would be my plans. My plans for the year to come. It seems that the seed companies have given us the nudge to look toward the future with there abundance of seed catalouges that are coming in the mail. A nudge to see one more planting go into the ground and a hope for one more harvest. As I sit thinking with seed catalouge at my side I think not only about the year to come but also about the year that has just passed. I think about the plants and the friends, the work and the laughter, the endless weeds. I wonder if it's worth all the effort and if I was pleased with the outcome. I have food stored away, wood for the fire, two healthy children, and the love of a wonderful companion so of course it was well worth the effort put in. I would not trade these things for a thousand days spent battling the johnson grass (which is the most evil of all the weeds). Then I wonder if the Lord was pleased with our efforts and our stewardship of what he has given us. I think of how grateful I am to have a quite moment to drink coffee, eat bread and think. What are your thoughts for the new year, or the new garden? What seeds must be ordered or what work must be done to make your harvest a good one? Or if your not planting let your farmer know what you would love to have out of the garden so he (or she) knows what to plan for this year.

No comments:

Pigs

Growing Boys Farm is trying our hand at pigs. Well, actually some friends of ours are growing the pigs for us on their farm since the Growin...