Friday, December 12, 2008

Sustainability, TB, and Genoside

I've started recently to follow a local group called Sustainable Glasgow. Their main focus is to make the greater Glasgow Barren County area more self sufficient in all aspects especially food. In reading there blog I have found links to many other informative sites. I found out that one person dies every 20 seconds from TB. Who knew? I also learned interesting facts about cattle feed lots, genoside in Darfur, and the near eradication of the guinea worm (which by the way is a disgusting little parasite). So that got me thinking with all that's going on in the world am I being environmentally and socially responsible enough. Sure I recycle and I grow some of my own food. In the summer I hang clothes out to dry to save on energy ,I've recently started making my own soap and my kids have to go through there toy boxes to donate to the needy. Although at this point it's only by the grace of God that were not one of the needy. But what can I as a stay at home mom in south central Kentucky do? Where are my talents used best? How can I teach my children to be and do what I have not been and done for so many years? These are the questions I'm pondering at the moment. I'm sure in time answers will come.

No comments:

Pigs

Growing Boys Farm is trying our hand at pigs. Well, actually some friends of ours are growing the pigs for us on their farm since the Growin...